Connection, Celebration, Participation
It was so wonderful to be with many of you at the 2018 Annual Conference and Expo in Pasadena a few months ago! It was a great event with many new exhibitors to meet, time to network and connect with colleagues from across the state and spend time talking with presenters and exhibitors.
Another wonderful component of the CAAEYC Conference and Expo is presenting Awards and Grants to the recipients at the Annual Membership meeting. This year we were honored to present the President’s Award to Liliana Alvarez Hernandez who is pursuing graduate education in early learning care and education. Six members received scholarships for conference attendance: Leticia Martuccio and Diana Dembeck received a CAAEYC Annual Conference Award, Juanita Burns received the Kohburg Inc. Conference Scholarship and the Irv Kaplan Conference Scholarships were received by Jennifer Aragon, Cheterra McKnight and Diana Thompson. Watch for announcements in the fall to apply for these awards to attend the 2019 conference in Santa Clara!
It’s a celebration! We are going to have conference in Northern California again! We will be at the Santa Clara Convention Center April 11-13, 2019. Start planning today—more details are coming in July and registration will open in early fall. The 2019 Conference Committee will begin monthly conference call meetings in July. If you are interested in participating on the conference committee, contact Shera Scott at email@example.com. We rely on input from members and early childhood educators to plan an engaging event that meets everyone’s professional learning needs.
If participating on the Conference Committee isn’t for you, CAAEYC has 12 committees addressing many facets of our organization and you are encouraged to identify a committee to participate on. Take a look below or at the Governance tab on our website (www.caeyc.org) to see what interests you; you can contact the committee chair directly or contact the office at firstname.lastname@example.org and the committee chair will reach out to you. If you don’t want to participate by yourself, get a colleague to join the committee with you, even if they aren’t a member of CAAEYC—you don’t have to be a member to participate on a committee.
- Consider contacting another committee.
- Accreditation – The accreditation committee works to support programs that are working toward accreditation and to highlight the qualities of accredited programs. Seon Chun-Burbank | email@example.com
- Diversity in Action – The diversity in action committee ensures that CAAEYC’s policies, procedures and events include diverse perspectives of the human experience. Rodney West | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Family Child Care – The family child care committee amplifies the voices of family child care educators throughout CAAEYC’s activities. Jagruti Patel | email@example.com
- Men and Early Care and Education – The men and early care and education committee advocates for policies and practices that support gender equity in the workforce. Jose Nunez | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Professional Development – The professional development committee keeps leadership advised on recent trends, research and high-quality presenters. They also organize and promote the awards and grants program. Patrick Romero| email@example.com
- Public Policy – The public policy committee reviews current and proposed policies in order to advise our community on advocacy opportunities for children, families and educators. Jean Goulart | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Consider submitting a workshop proposal for our annual conference; the call for proposals occurs during the summer. Look for the announcement by email and on our website in the next month.
- Consider writing an article for Connections, our biannual print journal. Contact email@example.com for more information on submissions.
- Consider getting involved with your local chapter. Check this map for contacts or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are currently in need of a chair for the Website Content Advisory Committee (and committee members). This committee provides support and information to the Governing Board and staff regarding content for the website, including website layout/design as well as content on the pages. This committee would also work with staff to keep our social media accounts up to date and active. If you are interested in this opportunity, please contact email@example.com.
I’m looking forward to talking with you about any aspect of your membership or other opportunities. You can reach me at firstname.lastname@example.org.