CAAEYC Public Policy Update
CAAEYC Public Policy Update
NAEYC Public Policy Forum - The 2019 Public Policy Forum took place February 24-26, 2019 at the Crystal Gateway Marriott in Arlington Virginia. 17 California delegates, including 14 first-time participants, led by CAAEYC Public Policy Committee member Fran Chasen attended the event. As a Public Policy Forum participant, our CAAEYC members have the opportunity to:
- Be part of a powerful team working to advance federal and state early childhood policy
- Hear from and network with national and state policy leaders and fellow advocates
- Get the resources and experiences they need to be an informed and effective advocate
- Meet with members of Congress and build relationships with their staff and teams
Among the issues to be discussed with Congressional leaders are increased funding for CCDBG, Head Start and Early Head Start as well as legislation that stabilizes supports for families in an effort to lift our most vulnerable families out of poverty.
Kamala Harris: Senator Kamala Harris visit: Kelsey Mellette, Legislative Assistant, receiving Child Care Now Bear.
Getting Ready Visits: The California team getting ready for legislative visits in Washington, DC, at the NAEYC Public Policy Forum.
Early Learning Advocacy Day – CAAEYC is working with several other statewide early childhood education organizations to host the 2019 Early Learning Advocacy Day. The event will be held on March 12, 2019 at the California New Car Dealers Association in Sacramento. The event will consist of a formal morning agenda that includes:
- Welcoming remarks from Assemblymember Eloise Gomez Reyes;
- An update on the Governor’s budget proposal from Legislative Analyst’s Office’s Early Education Analyst, Sara Cortes;
- Blue Ribbon Commission recommendations from Speaker Rendon’s staff members, Gail Gronert and Stacy Reardon; and
- Updates from other legislators or staff members related to the ECE legislative bills they are carrying.
In the afternoon, more than 60 attendees will head to the Capitol for visits with California legislators who have been pre-selected based on the committees they sit on and their potential impact on issues facing the ECE field, children and families.
CAAEYC Conference Public Policy Presentations – The CAAEYC 2019 Annual Conference and Expo is shaping up to be a fantastic event. The event will be held in Santa Clara April 11-13, 2019. The Public Policy Committee will be present and accounted for at the conference. We hope that you will come by and visit our Public Policy Booth in the Expo Hall or in the Center for Social Change on Saturday, where committee members will also be serving. In addition to accessing public policy information from committee members at our booths, you will also find members leading public policy workshops during the conference, as well as other presenters who will cover public policy/advocacy topics during the conference. Workshop topics include:
- Panel Discussion: Use your leadership skills to create or join a citywide early learning advocacy committee
- Early Childhood Education in California (Getting Down to Facts II)
- Becoming a Stronger Advocate - Nothing to Fear!
- California Legislative and Budget Update
For additional information on the Conference, we encourage you to visit the CAAEYC Conference website.